The Institute on Race, Equality and Human Rights (Race and Equality) works to promote racial and ethnic equality for Afro-descendant and indigenous communities – a unique focus among international human rights organizations. We work with a wide range of organizations in Latin America fighting racial discrimination or discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity.
In Nicaragua, Race and Equality works to strengthen local counterparts to use the Inter-American System and the Universal System of Human Rights, through technical assistance which provides tools to document human rights violations and produce optimal reports for the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights and the Special Procedures – including the various Committees that monitor International Conventions signed by Nicaragua, as well as the Universal Periodic Review (UPR).
In light of the repression in Nicaragua which has worsened since April 18, 2018 – causing hundreds of deaths – Race and Equality offers technical assistance to local counterpart organizations to make visible the situation of women, Afro-descendants, LGBTI population, and human rights in general as a means to promote the search for justice, and against impunity.
Race and Equality strengthens the capacity of our counterparts and the leaders of the various countries in which we work, so that they may actively participate in the OAS General Assembly, the Summit of the Americas Process, the Inter-American Human Rights Protection System, the Special Procedures and Treaty Bodies of the United Nations System.
- Human rights defender was stripped of her Nicaraguan nationality and expelled arbitrarily by the authorities
- Nicaraguan human rights defenders will talk in Geneva about the evolution of the crisis in their country
- Job Announcement – LGBTI Consultant to Latin America
- October 26: International Intersex Awareness Day
- Race & Equality Rejects the Arbitrary Ban by Nicaraguan Authorities Denying Entry into the Country to Representatives of the Centro por la Justicia y el Derecho Internacional (CEJIL)
- Public Communiqué: Race & Equality Rejects Acts of Harassment and Intimidation against Journalist Sergio León, General Manager of Nicaragua’s La Costeñísima
- With Repression and Violence, the Ortega Regime Again Violates the Rule of Law in Nicaragua
- Nicaraguan journalists and human rights defenders denounce the Nicaraguan government’s use of violence and repression in response to public protests in a hearing before the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights
- Race & Equality Participates in the 169th Period of Public Hearings of the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights with Organizations from Colombia, Cuba, and Nicaragua
- International Bisexuality Day: A Day to Remember the Sexual Diversity that Comprises and Complements Our Society
- RACE & EQUALITY DENOUNCES THE PERSECUTION OF LGBTI HUMAN RIGHTS DEFENDERS IN NICARAGUA AT THE HANDS OF THE GOVERNMENT OF DANIEL ORTEGA
- ORTEGA OPENLY PROMOTES IMPUNITY IN NICARAGUA BY ORDERING THE DEPARTURE OF THE OHCHR
- Unanimously Approved US Congressional Resolution Condemns Nicaraguan Governmental Repression Against Its Citizens
- Inter-American Commission on Human Rights Grants Precautionary Measures in Favor of Participating Members of the Private Sector in the Alianza Cívica por la Justicia y la Democracia [Civic Alliance for Justice and Democracy] in the National Dialogue in Nicaragua
- In a time of grief and mourning, Ortega and Murillo celebrated the 39th anniversary of the Sandinista Revolution
- Race and Equality supports a Nicaraguan delegation to the United Nation in Geneva, Switzerland
- SO THAT OUR VOICES ARE HEARD AND INCLUDED! Today We Commemorate the International Day for Afro-Latino, Afro-Caribbean, and Diaspora Women
- Inter-American Commission on Human Rights Grants Precautionary Measures to Anibal Toruño and Journalists from Radio Dario in Nicaragua
- Nicaraguan Voices Weight in on the Current Human Rights Crisis, and Offer Recommendations to Guarantee Truth, Justice and the Reestablishment of a Democratic Order